Integrated Head and Neck Oncology Research Program
Dr. M A Kuriakose, MD, FRCS
Dr. Kuriakose is Professor and Director, Surgical Oncology and Chief of the Head and Neck Oncology Program, Mazumdar Shaw Cancer Center, Narayana Health, Bangalore. He is also a professor and the director of head and neck oncology translational research program, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo. Previously, he has served as Director, Head and Neck Oncology Translational Research program, New York School of Medicine.
He has been instrumental in establishing collaborations with national and international institutions/universities of complementary expertise to address the various issues with the disease in a co-ordinated, multi-centric manner. He has chaired two international and four national conferences and has successfully carried out several projects in chemoprevention and translational research. His work is published in Oral Oncology, Head and Neck, Journal of Applied genetics, Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics, Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery and Laryngoscope. He has served leadership positions in many national and international organizations including Secretary General of International Academy of Oral Oncology, Chairman of Oral Oncology special interest group of International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Member of AO Research Review Commission, member of steering committee of HPV-AHEAD study of International Agency for Research in Cancer (WHO), secretary of Head and Neck Oncology Cooperative Research Group of India and Secretary of the Foundation of Head and Neck Oncology of India.
Translational Research with a focus on early detection/prevention and treatment resistance of head and neck cancer is the need of the hour. Multiple approaches have been adopted towards achieving the objective of early detection; smart phone based screening programs with emphasis on remote specialist consultation, use of molecular imaging and salivary biomarkers. Treatment resistance is another major area of focus; molecular profiling using an integrated ‘Omics’ approach in collaboration with other genomic and proteomic center is currently being carried out. Pathway based targeted therapy is a step towards personalized therapy; as an initial effort we are testing the efficacy of this concept using established drugs in animal models.
- Kekatpure VD, Singh M, Selvam S, Shetkar G, Hedne NC, Trivedi NP, Siddappa G, G SV, Suresh A, Rangarajan B, Dannenberg AJ, Kuriakose MA. Factors predicting outcome following salvage treatment for stage IV oral squamous cell carcinoma: Evidence of the potential importance of the COX-2-prostaglandin E (2) pathway. Head Neck. 2014 Apr 25. doi: 10.1002/hed.23721. Epub ahead of print
- Folaron M, Kalmuk J, Lockwood J, Frangou C, Vokes J, Turowski SG, Merzianu M, Rigual NR, Sullivan-Nasca M, Kuriakose MA, Hicks WL Jr, Singh AK, Seshadri M. Vascular priming enhances chemotherapeutic efficacy against head and neck cancer. Oral Oncol. 2013 Sep; 49(9):893-902. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.06.011. Epub 2013 Jul 23.
- Battoo AJ, Thankappan K, Ahmad SZ, Hedne N, Balasubramanian D, Trivedi N, Iyer S, Kuriakose MA. Efficacy of per oral access in the surgical management of T2/T3 oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Dec; 147(6):1069-75. doi: 10.1177/0194599812456812. Epub 2012 Aug 7.
- Suresh A, Vannan M, Kumaran D, Gümüs ZH, Sivadas P, Murugaian EE, Kekatpure V, Iyer S, Thangaraj K, Kuriakose MA. Resistance/response molecular signature for oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Dis Markers. 2012; 32(1):51-64. doi: 10.3233/DMA-2012-0860.
- Elango KJ, Suresh A, Erode EM, Subhadradevi L, Ravindran HK, Iyer SK, Iyer SK, Kuriakose MA. Role of human papilloma virus in oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011; 12(4):889-96.
- Elango KJ, Anandkrishnan N, Suresh A, Iyer SK, Ramaiyer SK, Kuriakose MA. Mouth self-examination to improve oral cancer awareness and early detection in a high-risk population. Oral Oncol. 2011 Jul; 47(7):620-4. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.05.001. Epub 2011 Jun 8.
- Trivedi NP, Ravindran HK, Sundram S, Iyer S, Kekatpure V, Durah S, Kuriakose MA. Pathologic evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2010 Nov; 32(11):1437-43. doi: 10.1002/hed.21345.
- Kekatpure VD, Trivedi NP, Shetkar G, Manjula BV, Mathan Mohan A, Kuriakose MA. Single perforator based anterolateral thigh flap for reconstruction of large composite defects of oral cavity. Oral Oncol. 2011 Jun; 47(6):517-21. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.03.023. Epub 2011 Apr 12.